series in between : big square
Before starting look at the page pieces of work: big square. There you can see how the finished result could look like. The execution there is about 45x45 centimeter, embroidered on 10 threads per centimeter linen, with one thread DMC floss number 16. DMC doesn't make that anymore. You can replace it with DMC no 25, that is the normal 6 stranded floss. Use 2 of 3 strands.
Take your time for the preparations.
- Decide how big you want the square to be. Take a piece of fabric at least 5 centimeter larger at all sides. Calculate the number of stitches lengthwise (broadwise is the same)
You want a square 30x30 cm. The fabric has 10 thread per centimeter and you want to make cross stitches over 2 threads. So 5 stitches per cm. In total 30x5= 150 stitches.
- Make a print of the drawing below. Choose a center point O for you design. Mark a point A 75 squares to the the left or to the right and one point B 75 squares up or down. The square AOBA will be exactly one quarter of the design you need. While you are embroidering it is easier to use the working drawing on the working drawing page.
- Choose color. Not too much and not to sweet. Take your time.
- You can start in a corner. But leave at least 5 centimeter free at both sides. For making the bars it might be useful to study the directions for black work on the main black work page.
- Finally: do not use aida fabric. The result will be more expressive on other fabrics